Anyone who doubts on how to choose a GPS to use in the car should certainly think about the possibility of using a cell phone with GPS instead of a dedicated GPS. On the other hand there are people who do not have the patience or even the geek profile needed to keep updated and use a cell phone with GPS.
Which of the two options is best? Cell phone with GPS or a dedicated GPS that is always ready in the car?
There are those who say that using a cell phone with GPS is the same as using the camera as the main camera. She is always with you but hardly makes good pictures, just breaks the branch. Others have said that the versatility of smartphone browsers makes it much more convenient and simple to use.
Let’s look at a list with the characteristics of each of the GPS choices.
Dedicated automotive GPS
- + practicality – is always ready to use inside the car
- + larger screen – easier to type and see addresses
- + most sync very fast
- + more resistant to high vehicle temperatures
- + easier to use
- – has no utility outside the car
- – another device to maintain and update
- – are worse in cost / benefit ratio
- – map update may not be simple or even be paid
- – In general, it does not integrate with online services
- – Points of interest not always updated and complete
Cellphone smartphone with GPS
- + maps always updated with the original source on the internet
- + possibility to exchange and test several navigation programs
- + only one device to keep
- + other functions included
- + integration with online services like latitude, Google Maps
- + socially updated points of interest, always updated
- – screen in general is smaller, although new devices have very large screens
- – connections may temporarily stop navigation
- – some take a little longer to sync
- – requires more technical expertise to operate and maintain
Considering the above options it is still a matter of user profile to choose between a cell phone with GPS or dedicated GPS. Certainly those who use well the technologies offered by the most modern smarphones with iOS or Android will prefer the second option, even more if the GPS is for occasional use.
See an article on how to choose your automotive GPS .
Is that you? Which one do you prefer? Do you have a GPS phone? What do you think of him?