According to top-medical-schools, Jefferson, South Dakota has a population of about 2,000 people. It is located in the southeastern part of the state, just east of Sioux Falls. The city is situated on the banks of the Big Sioux River and is surrounded by rolling hills and prairies. The climate in Jefferson is typically mild with warm summers and cold winters.
The history of Jefferson dates back to 1881 when it was first settled by European immigrants. Since then, it has grown steadily and today is a vibrant community with a diverse population. Politically, Jefferson leans conservative with most residents voting Republican in elections.
The economy of Jefferson is largely based on agriculture and tourism. There are several family-run farms in the area that produce corn, soybeans, wheat, and other crops that are sold locally or shipped out-of-state. Tourism also plays an important role in the local economy as visitors come to explore the nearby parks or take advantage of outdoor recreation opportunities like fishing and boating on nearby lakes and rivers.
Jefferson’s schools are top-notch as well. The town has two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and a technical college for higher education opportunities for its residents. All schools offer an excellent educational experience for students with experienced teachers who have strong ties to the community.
When it comes to landmarks in Jefferson, there are many worth noting including the historic downtown area which still retains its charm from years past; Freedom Park which features a playground and walking paths; as well as several churches that dot the landscape throughout town. Lastly, there’s also an old train depot that serves as a reminder of Jefferson’s rich railroad history dating back to 1883 when it first became part of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad system.
Population: 586. Estimated population in July 2020: 590 (+0.7% change)
Males: 298 (50.9%), Females: 288 (49.1%)
Zip code: 57038
Median resident age: 33.1 years
Median household income: $47,625
Median house value: $74,300
Races in Jefferson:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.2%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Black (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (33.6%), Irish (15.7%), French (10.9%), United States (9.2%), Norwegian (6.1%), English (5.8%).
Elevation: 1119 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
Jefferson, South Dakota is a small rural town located in the central region of the state. It has a population of approximately 1,200 people as of 2020. The majority of the population is comprised of white Americans and Native Americans, with a small percentage of African Americans and other ethnic groups. The median age for the population is 37 years old and the median household income is $38,000.
The town is known for its strong sense of community and family values, with many generations living in Jefferson for decades at a time. There are many local businesses that support the economy such as restaurants, convenience stores, banks, auto repair shops, gas stations and other services. As well as these businesses there are also plenty of recreational opportunities to enjoy such as fishing in nearby lakes or rivers or camping in one of Jefferson’s state parks. The town also hosts several annual events to bring people together such as parades on Memorial Day or July 4th and festivals during harvest season. These events help to strengthen community ties while providing entertainment to residents and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Jefferson
- High school or higher: 89.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jefferson city
- Never married: 15.5%
- Now married: 67.1%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.8%
- Divorced: 10.2%
2.0% Foreign born (1.5% Latin America, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +59 (+11.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Jefferson:
- SIOUXLAND SURGERY CENTER LP (about 8 miles; DAKOTA DUNES, SD)
- ST LUKES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA)
- MERCY MEDICAL CENTER-SIOUX CITY (about 14 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Jefferson:
- SIOUX GATEWAY/COL. BUD DAY FIELD (about 19 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Abbreviation: SUX)
- CHAN GURNEY MUNI (about 61 miles; YANKTON, SD; Abbreviation: YKN)
- JOE FOSS FIELD (about 68 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Abbreviation: FSD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Jefferson:
- GRAHAM FIELD (about 8 miles; NORTH SIOUX CITY, SD; Abbreviation: 7K7)
- MARTIN FIELD (about 13 miles; SO SIOUX CITY, NE; Abbreviation: 7K8)
- AKRON MUNI (about 15 miles; AKRON, IA; Abbreviation: Y40)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jefferson:
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 31 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 42 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 86 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT OMAHA (about 95 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 10,150)
- CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY (about 95 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,806)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER (about 95 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,448)