In Manhattan there are large buildings such as the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the theater district around Broadway, Columbia University, the financial center around Wall Street, “Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts”, Harlem, the “American Museum of Natural History ”, Chinatown and Central Park. In addition to” Times Square “and Fifth Avenue where much of the commercial movement is located, the Metropolitan Museum or the reference in modern art, the Museum of Modern Art in New York, also known by the acronym MoMA (Museum of Modern Art). See topschoolsintheusa for GRE test centers in New York.
It is the suspension bridge that crosses the East River in New York City; this bridge connects Lower Manhattan with Brooklyn on Long Island. It was the last bridge to be built of the three suspension bridges on the lower East River, followed by the Brooklyn Bridge and the Williamsburg.
The bridge was opened to traffic on December 31 of the year. The design of this bridge was carried out by the Polish bridge engineer Ralph Modjeski, while the cable diversion was designed by León Moisseiff, who later designed the Galloping Gertie, a narrow bridge in Tacoma that collapsed in 1940. On the lower level we can find:
- Three lanes.
- Four subway tracks.
- A pedestrian sidewalk.
- A bike path.
The upper level, was used for trams, this has:
- Two lanes in each direction.
- One direction at the lowest level.
This bridge crossed New York State Route 27 and later New York State Route 478. To travel through it, no tolls are charged to motor vehicles in Manhattan. The original pedestrian path that is located at the southern end of the bridge, was reopened after 60 years, in 2001. In 2004, a cycle path was opened on the north side of the bridge, through which a large number of cyclists pass..
It is a complex composed of three bridges connecting the three boroughs of Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx in New York. The Triborough traverses two islands, first Ward’s Island and then Randall’s Island from south to north, which serve as overwater intermediaries between the three major districts.
All three bridges span the Hell Gate, the Harlem River, and the Bronx Kill Sound. The complex is managed by the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, an affiliate of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
The three bridges that make up the Triborough Bridge are of different structures and lengths: the longest is the East River suspension bridge, an 847-meter long suspension bridge, followed by the 488-meter Bronx Kills crossing; the third is the Harlem River lift bridge.
Known initially as the “New York and Brooklyn Bridge”, it links the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn in New York City. It was built between 1870 and 1883 and, at the time of its inauguration, it was the largest suspension bridge in the world (it measures 1825 meters long, and the span between piers is 486.3 meters, a light record until it was built in 1889. The Forth Bridge, with a maximum span of 521 m, was also the first to be suspended by steel cables, and has since become one of the most recognizable symbols of New York.
Known in English as the Williamsburg Bridge, it is a suspension bridge in New York City that crosses the East River and connects the Lower East Side of Manhattan on Delancey Street with the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn on Long Island on Broadway near the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. (Interstate 278). It previously carried New York State Route 27A and Interstate 78.
Construction on the bridge, the second to cross the East River, began in 1896, by engineer Leffert L. Buck, Henry Hornbostel as architect and Holton D. Robinson as assistant engineer, being inaugurated on December 19, 1903, at a cost of $ 12,000,000. At the time it was built, the Williamsburg Bridge set the record as the longest suspension bridge on Earth. His record did not last long since in 1924, the Bear Mountain Bridge was inaugurated. The bridge is an unconventional structure, unlike suspension bridges, although the main section hangs from the cables in a common way, the side sections near the ends are corbels. The main span of the bridge is 1600 feet (488 m) long. The entire bridge is 7308 feet (2227 m) long, and the deck is 118 feet (36 m) wide. The height at the center of the bridge is 135 feet (41 m) and each tower is 335 feet (102 m), at which measurements were made from the river surface.
This bridge and the Manhattan Bridge are the only suspension bridges in New York City that still have car and rail traffic. In addition, it has a double railroad track that connects the Nassau Street Line and the Jamaica Line of the New York City subway, and previously a trolleybus. On the Brooklyn side of Grand Street and Broadway, they had ferry service, but they stopped operating.
Also known as the 59th Street Bridge, it is a cantilever bridge over the East River in New York City that was built in 1909. The bridge connects the Long Island City neighborhoods in the borough of Queens with Manhattan, passing over Roosevelt Island. New York State Route 25 passes over the bridge and formerly NY 24 and NY 25A. The Queensboro Bridge is the westernmost bridge on the East River and carries a state route number, NY 25, and ends at the west end (Manhattan) of the bridge. The bridge is often referred to as the “59th Street Bridge” because its end in Manhattan is located between 59th Street and 60th Street.