Montpelier, Indiana is a small city nestled in the northeast corner of Indiana, close to the Michigan state line. The city has a population of approximately 5,000 people, making it a relatively small community. The geography of Montpelier is mostly flat with some rolling hills surrounding the town. It is situated on the banks of the Wabash River and also has several creeks running through it. The climate in Montpelier is typically mild and humid with hot summers and cold winters. See topbbacolleges for information about Adams County, Indiana.
Montpelier was originally founded as a trading post in 1834 and was incorporated as a city in 1844. In its early days, it was an important stop on the Wabash & Erie Canal and served as an important transportation hub for goods coming from Ohio to Illinois. Today, Montpelier’s economy relies heavily on agriculture and manufacturing, with several major employers located within its city limits. The schools in Montpelier are part of the Blackford County School System which consists of four elementary schools, two middle schools, one high school and one alternative school.
One of the most notable landmarks in Montpelier is the J&J Dairy Bar which has been serving up delicious ice cream since 1950! Other popular attractions include Lake James State Park which offers fishing, hiking trails and camping sites as well as several local museums that celebrate Montpelier’s history and culture such as the Blackford County Historical Society Museum or the Marshall County Historical Museum.
Population: 1,929. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,857 (-3.7% change)
Males: 940 (48.7%), Females: 989 (51.3%)
Zip code: 47359
Median resident age: 34.8 years
Median household income: $30,175
Median house value: $46,600
Races in Montpelier:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.7%)
- American Indian (2.1%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (19.1%), Irish (10.9%), United States (9.8%), English (6.7%), Scottish (1.7%), Dutch (1.7%).
Elevation: 870 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Montpelier, Indiana is a small town located in Blackford County. According to the most recent census, the population of Montpelier is approximately 3,000 people. The median age in Montpelier is 38 years old, which is slightly higher than the U.S. average of 37 years old. The majority of the population (69%) are White non-Hispanic and 20% are Hispanic or Latino.
The cost of living in Montpelier is relatively low compared to other parts of the United States. According to Best Places, the cost of living index for Montpelier is 86.6 which is 14% lower than the national average. Housing costs in particular are much lower than other areas with a median home price of $80,400 and a median rent of $526 per month. Utilities such as electricity and water are also very affordable with an average monthly cost around $160 for a family of four. Other everyday necessities such as groceries and healthcare can also be found at reasonable prices in Montpelier making it an attractive place for those looking to live on a budget.
For population 25 years and over in Montpelier
- High school or higher: 75.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Montpelier city
- Never married: 16.3%
- Now married: 55.6%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 17.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +11 (+0.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Montpelier:
- BLACKFORD COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; HARTFORD CITY, IN)
- BLUFFTON REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; BLUFFTON, IN)
- JAY COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; PORTLAND, IN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Montpelier:
- DELAWARE COUNTY – JOHNSON FIELD (about 24 miles; MUNCIE, IN; Abbreviation: MIE)
- FORT WAYNE INTERNATIONAL (about 30 miles; FORT WAYNE, IN; Abbreviation: FWA)
- ANDERSON MUNICIPAL-DARLINGTON FIELD (about 39 miles; ANDERSON, IN; Abbreviation: AID)
Other public-use airports nearest to Montpelier:
- MILLER (about 12 miles; BLUFFTON, IN; Abbreviation: C40)
- PORTLAND MUNI (about 22 miles; PORTLAND, IN; Abbreviation: PLD)
- HUNTINGTON MUNI (about 24 miles; HUNTINGTON, IN; Abbreviation: HHG)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Montpelier:
- BALL STATE UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; MUNCIE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 17,039)
- INDIANA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; MARION, IN; Full-time enrollment: 6,684)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-EAST CENTRAL (about 28 miles; MUNCIE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,013)
- ANDERSON UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; ANDERSON, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,116)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-PURDUE UNIVERSITY-FORT WAYNE (about 40 miles; FT WAYNE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 7,385)
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY (about 80 miles; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Full-time enrollment: 3,721)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-PURDUE UNIVERSITY-INDIANAPOLIS (about 81 miles; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Full-time enrollment: 19,818)
Public primary/middle school in Montpelier:
- MONTPELIER SCHOOL (Students: 500; Location: 107 E MONROE ST; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Montpelier:
- MONTPELIER-HARRISON TWP PL (Operating income: $77,687; Location: 301 S MAIN ST; 22,479 books; 1,038 audio materials; 2,481 video materials; 63 serial subscriptions)