Student Visa for Thailand

If you want to study at a university in Thailand, you need a student visa. Which visa international students have to apply for to study in Thailand depends on the length of the study stay.

Interesting facts about the student visa for Thailand at a glance

International students need a non-immigrant visa for education and training purposes to study in Thailand. Two different visas fall into this category, both are marked with the abbreviation “ED”:

  • Non-Immigrant ED Visa S
  • Non-Immigrant ED Visa M

If you want to study in Thailand for more than half a year, you have to apply for the Non-Immigrant Visa ED / S. The visa allows a single entry into Thailand and a stay in the country of 90 days. Students must therefore have it extended in Thailand at the Immigration Office.

If you are staying in Thailand for less than six months to study, you can apply for the non-immigrant visa ED / M instead of the ED / S visa to be extended. Attention: The visa is valid for one year, but you cannot study in Thailand for more than six months. In addition, students with the visa may stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days at a time. Unlike in the case of the Non-Immigrant Visa ED / S, this period cannot be extended. The students therefore have to leave and re-enter Thailand after a maximum of 90 days. The number of entries and exits permitted within one year with the non-immigrant visa ED / M is not limited.

Apply for the student visa

The application for student visas or non-immigrant visas can be made at the Thai Embassy in Berlin or at the Thai Consulate General in Frankfurt.

If you apply for the visa in person, the processing time is 1-3 working days. You usually have to pick up the visa in person. It takes four weeks to process a postal application – this can only be sent to the Thai embassy in Berlin. So that the dream of studying does not fail because a visa is not issued on time, this should be taken into account when preparing.

Students can apply for a visa at the earliest three months before their planned entry. According to collegesanduniversitiesinusa, entry into Thailand must have taken place within three months of the visa being issued. To apply for a visa, students need the following documents:

  • Completed visa application
  • Passport and copy of the first page of the passport
  • A passport photo
  • Confirmation of admission from the Thai university: This must be sent directly to the Thai embassy and must also have a letterhead, a stamp or a mark and the signature of the university management.
  • Flight confirmation (as a copy)
  • Visa fee (cash)

The passport should be valid for at least 18 months at the time of entry. Students who do not have German citizenship need a copy of their registration certificate or residence permit in addition to their passport.

You can also find all information on the website of the Thai embassy:

Student Visa Costs for Thailand

The cost of the visa for Thailand depends on which visa students are applying for. A non-immigrant visa ED / S costs EUR 60, a non-immigrant visa ED / M beats with EUR 150 to book. If you apply for the visa in person, you have to pay the fee in cash, other forms of payment are not accepted. Students applying for a visa by post must transfer the visa fee in advance to a bank account at the Thai embassy in Germany.

Student Visa for Thailand