According to topschoolsintheusa, Wellman, Iowa is located in Washington County, and has a population of 1,655 as of the 2019 census. Located in the Midwestern United States, Wellman has a humid continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. The town was founded in 1868 by William Wellman, a farmer from Pennsylvania who settled in the area with his family.
The economy of Wellman is primarily agricultural-based, with corn and soybeans being the main crops grown. There are also several small businesses in town, including a grocery store, hardware store, and several restaurants.
The school district in Wellman consists of three elementary schools (Grades K-6), one middle school (Grades 7-8) and one high school (Grades 9-12). The district also includes an alternative high school for students who are at risk of not graduating.
Wellman is home to many landmarks that draw visitors from all over the region. These include the historic Prairie Creek Schoolhouse, which dates back to 1881; an old grist mill; and the Jingle Bells Bridge across the English River. Other popular attractions include a public park with picnic areas and walking trails; several churches; and an outdoor amphitheater where local bands often play during summer months.
Population: 1,393. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,470 (+5.5% change)
Males: 677 (48.6%), Females: 716 (51.4%)
Zip code: 52356
Median resident age: 40.1 years
Median household income: $37,083
Median house value: $73,000
Races in Wellman:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.0%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (40.7%), United States (10.1%), Irish (8.4%), English (8.1%), Swiss (4.0%), French (3.4%).
Elevation: 700 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Wellman, Iowa is a small town of approximately 1,800 people located in Washington County. The town has seen a steady growth in population since its founding in 1855. The majority of the population is comprised of Caucasian Americans, with a small percentage of African Americans and Hispanics also living in the area. The median household income is around $50,000 annually, making it an affordable place to live for many.
The cost of living in Wellman is quite reasonable compared to other parts of the state and nation. Groceries are fairly priced and there are plenty of restaurants that offer affordable meals. Housing costs are also very reasonable with the median home value at just under $100,000 and rent ranging from $500-$900 per month depending on the size and location. Utilities are very competitively priced as well and most residents can expect to pay around $150 per month for all their utilities combined. Healthcare options are limited but there are several nearby hospitals that provide quality care at an affordable cost. Overall, Wellman provides its residents with a safe and affordable place to live.
For population 25 years and over in Wellman
- High school or higher: 79.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.9%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wellman city
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 58.1%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 11.6%
- Divorced: 10.2%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +260 (+22.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wellman:
- WASHINGTON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; WASHINGTON, IA)
- UNIVERSITY OF IOWA HOSPITAL & CLINIC (about 25 miles; IOWA CITY, IA)
- MERCY HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; IOWA CITY, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wellman:
- THE EASTERN IOWA (about 31 miles; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Abbreviation: CID)
- OTTUMWA INDUSTRIAL (about 49 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Abbreviation: OTM)
- SOUTHEAST IOWA REGIONAL (about 70 miles; BURLINGTON, IA; Abbreviation: BRL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wellman:
- WASHINGTON MUNI (about 19 miles; WASHINGTON, IA; Abbreviation: AWG)
- AMANA (about 22 miles; AMANA, IA; Abbreviation: C11)
- IOWA CITY MUNI (about 24 miles; IOWA CITY, IA; Abbreviation: IOW)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wellman:
- UNIVERSITY OF IOWA (about 25 miles; IOWA CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 24,766)
- INDIAN HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 51 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,744)
- KIRKWOOD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 57 miles; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Full-time enrollment: 7,991)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA (about 77 miles; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Full-time enrollment: 12,524)
- HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 79 miles; WATERLOO, IA; Full-time enrollment: 3,292)
- EASTERN IOWA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 88 miles; DAVENPORT, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,180)
- AUGUSTANA COLLEGE (about 88 miles; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,220)
Public high school in Wellman:
- MID-PRAIRIE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 328; Location: 1636 HIGHWAY 22 E; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Wellman:
- WELLMAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 194; Location: 800 6TH AVE; Grades: KG – 05)
Library in Wellman:
- WELLMAN-SCOFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $47,622; Location: 711 4TH ST.; 16,519 books; 476 audio materials; 550 video materials; 36 serial subscriptions)