Whittemore, Iowa is a small town with a population of around 856 people. It is located in Kossuth County, in the northern part of the state. The terrain is mostly flat with some rolling hills and farmland. The climate is typical of the Midwest, with hot humid summers and cold snowy winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Iowa.
The history of Whittemore dates back to 1872 when it was founded as a settlement for German immigrants. It was officially incorporated in 1881 and has been growing ever since. Politically, it leans towards the Republican party but there are also many independent voters who take part in local elections.
The economy of Whittemore is mainly agricultural, with farming being the main industry in the area. Many residents also work for businesses located in nearby towns such as Algona and Emmetsburg. There are also several small businesses located within town limits that provide employment opportunities for locals.
Whittemore is home to two schools: The Whittemore-Prescott School District which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade and St Joseph’s Catholic School which serves students from preschool through eighth grade. Both schools offer excellent educational opportunities to their students and many graduates go on to pursue higher education at nearby colleges or universities.
Some of the most notable landmarks in Whittemore include: The Kossuth County Courthouse which was built in 1893; St Joseph’s Catholic Church which has been standing since 1873; and The Whittemore Community Center which was built in 1961 as a gathering place for local residents to come together for community events and activities.
Population: 530. Estimated population in July 2020: 492 (-7.2% change)
Males: 255 (48.1%), Females: 275 (51.9%)
Zip code: 50598
Median resident age: 39.0 years
Median household income: $31,111
Median house value: $38,800
Races in Whittemore:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.6%)
Ancestries: German (53.8%), Irish (14.7%), Norwegian (9.4%), English (6.6%), United States (6.2%), Italian (5.7%).
Elevation: 1203 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Whittemore, Iowa is a small rural town located in Kossuth County. It has a population of about 700 people and is the smallest town in the county. The population is mostly comprised of families, with a few single individuals living in the town as well. The majority of people living in Whittemore are employed by local businesses and agricultural operations.
The cost of living in Whittemore is relatively low compared to other towns and cities in the area. Housing costs are especially reasonable, with many homes available for rent or purchase at affordable prices. Utilities such as water, electricity, and gas are also relatively inexpensive when compared to other areas. Groceries and basic necessities can also be purchased at reasonable prices from local stores or farmers markets. In addition, there is no sales tax charged on items purchased within Whittemore’s city limits. This helps keep costs down for residents while still providing necessary services to them.
For population 25 years and over in Whittemore
- High school or higher: 89.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 5.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whittemore city
- Never married: 26.0%
- Now married: 56.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 12.5%
- Divorced: 4.1%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -17 (-3.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Whittemore:
- KOSSUTH REGIONAL HEALTH CENTER (about 14 miles; ALGONA, IA)
- PALO ALTO COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; EMMETSBURG, IA)
- HUMBOLDT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; HUMBOLDT, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Whittemore:
- FORT DODGE REGIONAL (about 39 miles; FORT DODGE, IA; Abbreviation: FOD)
- MASON CITY MUNI (about 77 miles; MASON CITY, IA; Abbreviation: MCW)
- DES MOINES INTL (about 118 miles; DES MOINES, IA; Abbreviation: DSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Whittemore:
- ALGONA MUNI (about 11 miles; ALGONA, IA; Abbreviation: AXA)
- EMMETSBURG MUNI (about 20 miles; EMMETSBURG, IA; Abbreviation: EGQ)
- HUMBOLDT MUNI (about 27 miles; HUMBOLDT, IA; Abbreviation: 0K7)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whittemore:
- IOWA CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; FT DODGE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,807)
- BUENA VISTA UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; STORM LAKE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,524)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNVERSITY-MANKATO (about 81 miles; MANKATO, MN; Full-time enrollment: 11,210)
- SOUTH CENTRAL TECHNICAL COLLEGE-MANKATO (about 82 miles; NORTH MANKATO, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,186)
- NORTH IOWA AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 85 miles; MASON CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,161)
- GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS COLLEGE (about 93 miles; ST PETER, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,355)
- IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 97 miles; AMES, IA; Full-time enrollment: 24,473)
Library in Whittemore:
- WHITTEMORE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $50,405; Location: 4TH AND BROAD, BOX 356; 14,708 books; 412 audio materials; 1,136 video materials; 69 serial subscriptions)